Wrongful termination of school district employee. $1.7M. Los Angeles County.
Long-time employee is terminated, claims the allegations against her by school district were false.
- Case Name: Rethena Flowers v. Compton Unified School District
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / 19CMCV00133
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, January 30, 2023
- Date Action was Filed: Friday, April 19, 2019
- Type of Action: Employment, Highlighted Verdicts, Wrongful Termination
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Michael Schultz
Plaintiffs: Rethena Flowers, 51
Defendants: Compton Unified School District
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $1,744,140
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Law Firm of Pelayes & Yu, APC by Tristan Pelayes and Tom Yu, Rancho Cucamonga.
Law Offices of Joseph N. Bolander by Joe Bolander, Rancho Cucamonga.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Olivarez Madruga Law Organization by Paul A. Aguilar and Terence J. Gallagher, Los Angeles.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Plaintiff was hired by the Compton Unified School District in October 1999. In September 2003 she was transferred to the Compton Unified School District’s school police department as a dispatcher. The District then fired Ms. Flowers on August 27, 2018.
Plaintiff alleged that when she reported numerous faulty equipment and safety concerns due to staff shortages, the district retaliated against her by initiating an investigation into allegations it knew were false.
Defendant school district alleged that plaintiff stole district time by being absent from work during her assigned work hours and not performing her duties.
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff Final Demand before Trial: $450,000
- Defendant §998 Offer: $199,000 on the eve of trial.