Long-time employee, a Latina, is said to have allowed a hostile work environment, so the company fired her.
- Case Name: Marisol Carrillo v. Renfro Corporation dba K Bell Socks
- Court and Case Number: JAMS / 122064031
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, May 17, 2021
- Date Action was Filed: Friday, January 03, 2020
- Type of Case: Discrimination, Racial, Employment, Wrongful Termination
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. James Ware (Ret.)
Plaintiffs: Marisol Carrillo
Defendants: Renfro Corporation dba K Bell Socks
- Type of Result: Arbitration Award
- Gross Verdict or Award: $300,000
- Net Verdict or Award: $300,000 plus attorney fees and costs.
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Law Offices of Scott E. Schutzman by Scott E. Schutzman, Huntington Beach.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Levinson Arshonsky & Kurtz, LLP by Nathan T. Lowery and Jennifer R. Komsky, Sherman Oaks.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Claimant is a Latina woman and was a 17-year employee of respondent, Renfro Corporation, which manufactures socks in Inglewood. Claimant rose to VP of Operations within the company.
Claimant was terminated based on an investigation report submitted by the HR manager.
That claimant was wrongfully terminated due to the HR manager's bias against claimant's race or place of origin, or bore ill will against her after claimant recommended termination of a transgender temporary employee, who had raised a complaint. Claimant had not involved the HR department in her attempt to resolve the issue with the complaining temporary employee.
Respondent acknowledged that claimant was fired based solely on the investigative report regarding claimant's handling of the complaint by the temporary employee and the HR manager's recommendation.
Respondent contended that claimant violated company policies as the VP of Operations by allowing the toxic work environment to persist, which resulted in the complaint made by the transgender temporary employee.
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: $1,400,000
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff Final Demand before Trial: $750,000
- Plaintiff Demand during Trial: $500,000
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $100,000