Pedestrian struck in parking lot when defendant driver puts his vehicle in reverse.
- Case Name: Hernan Osorio v. Wesley T. Williams, et al.
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC597023
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Thursday, February 08, 2018
- Date Action was Filed: Thursday, October 08, 2015
- Type of Case: Course and scope of employment, MIST (Minor impact, soft tissue), Vehicles - vs. Pedestrian
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Maurice A. Leiter
Plaintiffs: Hernan Osorio, 58.
Defendants: Wesley T. WilliamsAerotek Aviation, LLC
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $962,560
Past loss of earning: $76,360
Future loss of earning: $53,200
Future medical expenses: $10,000
- Jury Deliberation Time: 4 hours in the span of 2 days.
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Law Offices of Howard B. Kim by Howard B. Kim, Los Angeles.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP by Cary L. Wood and Ankur Tarneja, Los Angeles.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Mark J. Spoonamore, M.D., orthopedic surgery, Los Angeles.
George Macer, Jr., M.D., hand surgery, Long Beach.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
The accident occurred on October 10, 2013. Plaintiff was working for a company called Golden Gate of Orlando which contracts with auto rental companies to transport vehicles from lot to lot. On October 10, 2013, at approximately 9:45 a.m., plaintiff was walking across the parking lot at Enterprise Rent A Car located near LAX when defendant Wesley T. Williams reversed his vehicle back into plaintiff. Wesley T. Williams was working for Aerotek Aviation, LLC. Defendants stipulated that Mr. Williams was within the scope of his employment with Aerotek at the time of the accident.
Plaintiff testified that when he saw the vehicle come towards him, he put his arms out and was hit. He believes his hands hit the rear window of the Expedition, which caused his body to twist and that his behind landed on the bumper of the Expedition, an SUV with a high bumper. He believes he hit his head on the rear window as well. Plaintiff testified that he did not land on the ground.
Defendant Wesley T. Williams contended that he barely moved his vehicle and denied hitting plaintiff.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Soft tissue injuries to head, neck, shoulders, arms, legs, lower and upper back and aggravation of pre-existing triangular fibrocartilage complex tear.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $0
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: $15,700
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: $86,000
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: $51,000
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $150,000
- Defendant §998 Offer: $30,000