Driver strikes pedestrian in crosswalk; extent of injuries disputed.
- Case Name: Mariam Casian v. Zhang Lisheng
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC611660
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Saturday, May 05, 2018
- Date Action was Filed: Thursday, February 25, 2016
- Type of Case: Vehicles - vs. Pedestrian
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Lawrence Cho
Plaintiffs: Mariam Casian, 39, office administrator.
Defendants: Zhang Lisheng
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $757,090.79
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 2 days.
- Jury Deliberation Time: 1 day.
- Jury Polls: Not polled.
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
The Vartazarian Law Firm by Matthew Whibley, Sherman Oaks.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Mavredakis Cranert by James Sawyer, Pasadena.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Jonathan Nissanoff, M.D., orthopedic surgery, Pasadena.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Richard Rosenberg, M.D., orthopedic surgery, Tarzana.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Plaintiff was crossing Venice Boulevard southbound in the crosswalk on May 2, 2014 when she was hit by defendant's vehicle. Defendant made a left hand turn and struck the plaintiff who was walking in a marked crosswalk. Plaintiff had a green light and walk signal.
That she was injured due to the negligent operation of a motor vehicle by defendant.
Defendant disputed the nature and extent of plaintiff’s alleged injuries and the cost of medical treatment for those injuries. Defendant also alleged comparative fault.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Torn meniscus in knee, which required arthroscopy surgery, and lower back injuries.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $57,090.79
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: 0
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: 0
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: 0
Demands and Offers
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $130,000