Vehicle collides with motorcycle, torn ACL. $350K. San Bernardino County.
Torn ACL results from motorcyle and auto collision.
- Case Name: Chase Henrich v. Veronica Hackbarth
- Court and Case Number: San Bernardino Superior Court / CIVDS1416506
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Wednesday, December 16, 2015
- Type of Case: Vehicles - Motorcycle
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Donna Gunnell Garza
Plaintiffs: Chase Henrich, 24
Defendants: Veronica Hackbarth
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $349,934.81
- Net Verdict or Award: $349,934.81, plus costs.
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 4 days.
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Traut Firm by James R. Traut and Taylor Traut, Santa Ana.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Law Offices of Vivian Schwartz by Valerie D. Morris, San Bernardino.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Steven Bast, M.D., orthopedic surgery, Covina.
Ben Duncan, P.T., physical therapy, Rancho Cucamonga.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Ralph Venuto, M.D., orthopedic surgery, Newport Beach.
Plaintiff's Technical Expert(s):
Catherine Graves, MBA, CPA, lost earnings, Fullerton.
Agnes Grogan, R.N., medical expenses, Huntington Beach.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
On September 25, 2014 defendant collided with the 24-year-old plaintiff, who was seated on his motorcycle.
Defendant admitted liability, but disputed the cause, nature, and extent of plaintiff's injuries and economic damages.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Plaintiff claimed a tom ACL in one knee.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $30,364.50
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: $19,570.31
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $475,000
- Plaintiff Final Demand before Trial: $300,000
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $185,000
Carrier: Farmers Insurance.
The settlement offers were made on the morning of the start of trial.
Per defense counsel: Plaintiff did not recover expert witness fees because the jury verdict was less than plaintiff's CCP 998 offer of $475,000.