Driver turning left on yield sign collides with oncoming auto.
- Case Name: Ana Hernandes v. Eca Farhan Alenezy
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC655585
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, November 19, 2018
- Type of Case: Vehicles - Intersection, Vehicles - Left Turn
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Charles Palmer
Plaintiffs: Ana Hernandes, 26, nail technician
Defendants: Eca Farhan Alenezy
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
Past medical: $23,100.00
Future medical: $124,000
Past lost earnings: $1,200.
- Jury Deliberation Time: Approximately 2 hours.
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
West Coast Trial Lawyers by H. Dean Aynechi and Sam N. Simantob, Los Angeles.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Dall Law Firm by Terry S. Dall, Mission Viejo.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Stepan Kasimian, M.D., orthopedic surgery, Glendale.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Stephan Rothman, M.D., radiology, MRI readings.
Plaintiff's Technical Expert(s):
Rami Hashish, Ph.D., DPT, accident reconstruction and biomechanics.
Andrew Morris, DC, medical billing.
Defendant's Technical Expert(s):
Joseph Jones, social media investigation.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
At the intersection of Alondra Boulevard and Freeway Drive in Sante Fe Springs on August 5, 2015, plaintiff was driving straight on Alondra and was headed eastbound. The intersection was controlled by a traffic light. Defendant was facing westbound on Alondra, and had a "left turn must yield" sign (there was no left-turn arrow). He attempted to make a left turn at the intersection as plaintiff approached. The collision was almost head-on.
That defendant was completely at fault for the collision and caused plaintiff's injuries.
That plaintiff was comparatively at fault for her damages. (According to plaintiff's counsel, defendant did not offer evidence at trial as to comparative fault.)
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Soft tissue injuries to chest, abdomen, right ankle, and right thumb. 2-mm bulge at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Annular tear at L4-L5.
Loss of Earnings, mental pain and suffering.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $23,091.57
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: $80,000
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: $640
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $45,000
- Plaintiff Final Demand before Trial: $150,000
- Defendant §998 Offer: $25,000; $45,000; $70,000.
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $70,000
- Defendant Offer during Trial: $75,000.00 before the jury panel was selected.