Defendant runs stop sign, claims plaintiff was speeding. $536K. Los Angeles County.
Plaintiff has no traffic signals in his direction when defendant runs a stop sign.
- Case Name: Julio Rodriguez v. Johnish Harrison
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / 21STCV11654
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Wednesday, October 05, 2022
- Type of Action: Vehicles - Intersection
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Gregory Alarcon
Plaintiffs: Julio Rodriguez, 74, retired
Defendants: Johnish Harrison
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $536,250
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Rafii & Associates by Justin Rabi and Jack Jambazian, Beverly Hills.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Chavez Legal Group by Ruth Hess, Orange.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Michael Hayavi, M.D., pain management/anesthesiology.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
On August 23, 2020 plaintiff dropped off his wife at their local church on Sunday morning. As he was heading back home, driving straight on 79th Street in downtown Los Angeles, he approached the intersection of Flower and 79th Street. Defendant ran through a stop sign at the intersection and crashed into plaintiff, who had no traffic control signals (stop sign, stop light, etc.) in his direction.
That defendant was negligent in the operation of her motor vehicle, such that she ran through a stop sign causing said crash.
Defendant argued comparative fault, and alleged speeding on plaintiff's part.
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $20,000
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $5,000
Insurer: Fred Loya Insurance