Medical treatment delayed after T-bone accident. Defense offered $4K. $113,000 verdict. Los Angeles County.
T-bone accident occurs as defendant exits driveway. Causation disputed.
- Case Name: Sebastian Mego v. Anca Stefanescu
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC505051
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Friday, October 24, 2014
- Date Action was Filed: Friday, April 05, 2013
- Type of Case: Vehicles - Auto vs. Auto
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Anthony J. Mohr
Plaintiffs: Sebastian Mego, singer/dancer, 24
Defendants: Anca Stefanescu
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $113,375
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 4 days
- Jury Deliberation Time: Approximately 2 hours
- Jury Polls: 11-1
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Webb & Beecher by Brian G. Beecher, Los Angeles.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Early, Maslach & Hartsuyker by Elizabeth M. Chidi, Los Angeles.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Roy Simon, M.D., pain management, Torrance.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Steven Nagelberg, M.D. (kept from testifying by motion in limine)
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
According to plaintiff, plaintiff's passenger and defendant's passenger, defendant pulled out of her private driveway and T-boned the passenger side of plaintiff's motor vehicle on March 16, 2013 in Hollywood. Her driveway was perpendicular to the road. Defendant claimed plaintiff hit her vehicle and that she was at a complete stop. Police were called from the scene, but did not come to the scene as no one was obviously hurt at the time.
Plaintiff first treated for back pain with a medical provider in April 2013, and did not treat with a medical provider again until July 2014. In October 2014, plaintiff underwent epidural and facet injections with little relief.
That defendant caused him to suffer 2mm disc bulges (herniated disk) at L4-L5 and L5-S1, as a result of the collision.
Defendant driver disputed plaintiff's version of how the accident occurred and denied that she caused any injuries to plaintiff as a result of the collision.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Plaintiff suffered permanent back injuries from the crash.
Cost of repair of plaintiff's vehicle - $8,971.61
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: Approx. $18,500
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Medical: Approx. $30,000. Per defense counsel, plaintiff also asked for $25,000 for stem cell treatment plus $250,000 for future surgery.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: None
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: None
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $15,000 (August, 2013)
- Defendant §998 Offer: $4,001 (November, 2013)