Plaintiff incurs TBI, hip and lumbar/sacral spine injuries in auto crash. $1.1M. Los Angeles County.
Driver enters intersection despite sign warning "right turn only."
- Case Name: Jennifer Valdez v. Ashley Jones
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / 18STCV00001
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, May 09, 2022
- Date Action was Filed: Friday, October 05, 2018
- Type of Case: Vehicles - Auto vs. Auto, Vehicles - Intersection
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Patrick Madden
Plaintiffs: Jennifer Valdez, 33, administrative clerk
Defendants: Ashley Jones
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $1,109,666
Past medical expenses: $80,000
Future medical expenses: $389,700
Past : $109,000
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 7 days
- Jury Deliberation Time: 5 hours
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Law Offices of Brian J. Breiter, LLP by Chance J. Pardon, Brian J. Breiter and Peter K. Diamond, Los Angeles.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Stratman & Williams-Abrego by Lorin D. Snyder, Los Angeles.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Daniel Franc, M.D., Ph.D., neurology. (Treating physician.)
Jason Cuellar, M.D., Ph.D., orthopedic spine surgery. (Treating physician.)
Jason Snibbe, M.D., orthopedic surgery. (Treating physician.)
Khyber Zaffarkhan, D.O., physical medicine and rehabilitation/life care planning.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Thomas C. Chen, M.D., Ph.D., neurosurgery.
Manuel Saint Martin, M.D., J.D., psychiatry.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Plaintiff was a passenger in a vehicle driven by her brother as they returned home from work. Plaintiff was traveling eastbound on 6th Street in the City of Los Angeles when defendant attempted to cross 6th on southbound June Street despite multiple "right-turn-only" signs at her stop. Plaintiff collided with defendant at the intersection.
That defendant was negligent and solely at fault for the crash, which caused plaintiff's injuries.
That she was not at fault for the crash and that plaintiff's brother, the driver of the other vehicle, was at fault.
At trial defendant conceded some liability but continued to allege the other driver was also negligent. Further, defendant alleged that plaintiff only sustained strains/sprains.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Disc bulge at L5-S1 causing radiculopathy, a torn labrum in her hip, and a traumatic brain injury (TBI) that led to pseudotumor cerebri.
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff Final Demand before Trial: $850,000
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $300,000