The middle school teacher, a male, sexually messaged and sent graphic images to 13-year-old female student, but there was no physical sexual contact.
- Case Name: Jane Doe v. Doe School District
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC543558
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, May 15, 2017
- Date Action was Filed: Friday, August 14, 2015
- Type of Case: Sexual Abuse, Sexual Harassment
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Stephen Moloney
Plaintiffs: Jane Doe
Defendants: Doe School District
- Type of Result: Settlement at Trial
- Settlement Amount: $2,000,000
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Taylor & Ring LLP by David M. Ring and Natalie Weatherford, Manhattan Beach.
Agnew Brusavich by Bruce M. Brusavich, Torrance.
Attorney for the Defendant:
McCune & Harber LLP by Stephen Harber, Los Angeles.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Plaintiff Jane Doe was sexually harassed by her male middle school teacher while plaintiff was an eighth grade student attending a public middle school within Doe School District.
Jane Doe was 13 years old at the time of the harassment and the teacher was 35 years old. The harassment occurred on and off the middle school campus and consisted of the teacher transmitting sexually explicit text messages, photographs and Facetime telephone conversations to the minor plaintiff. The teacher never physically touched the plaintiff.
Plaintiff contended that the school district employees failed to supervise the teacher and the plaintiff.
The school district contended that it was not negligent in its supervision of the teacher or the plaintiff and contested the nature and extent of her claimed damages.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Severe emotional distress.