Male middle school teacher molests eighth grade female student.
- Case Name: Antonia M. vs. Pomona Unified School District
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC543558
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Tuesday, May 10, 2016
- Type of Case: Negligence
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. David Cunningham III
Plaintiffs: Antonia M., a minor.
Defendants: Pomona Unified School District
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $8,050,000
- Contributory/Comparative Negligence: Pomona Unified School District: 80%; Perpetrator Andrews: 20%.
Past medical: None claimed.
Future medical: $50,000
Past non-economic damages: $7,000,000
Future non-economic damages: $1,000,000
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Taylor & Ring by John Taylor and Natalie Weatherford, Los Angeles.
Attorney for the Defendant:
McCune & Harber by Dana John McCune and Jessica Gillette, Los Angeles.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Lynn Ponton, M.D., psychiatry, San Francisco.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Constance Dalenberg, Ph.D., psychology, San Diego.
Defendant's Technical Expert(s):
Robert Fraisse, Ph.D., school supervision, Thousand Oaks.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Lorbeer Middle School teacher Steven Andrews committed multiple acts of sexual assault and abuse against the plaintiff, Antonia M., over the course of her 2010/2011 school year. Antonia M. was 14 years old at the time of the abuse. Andrews was 40 years old.
That defendant school district was negligent in that it failed to supervise the teacher and/or student in this case.
That supervision was adequate. Defendant district disputed the nature and extent of plaintiff’s damages.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Severe emotional distress.
Demands and Offers
- Defendant Final Offer before Trial: $1,000,000