Legal malpractice claimed in divorce settlement. Defense. San Diego County.
Plaintiff says he suffered over $2 million in damages due to attorney's negligence.
- Case Name: Girgis v. Christenson et al.
- Court and Case Number: San Diego County Superior Court / 37-2017-00024754-CU-PN-CTL
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Monday, August 26, 2019
- Date Action was Filed: Friday, July 07, 2017
- Type of Action: Legal Malpractice
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Joel R. Wohlfeil
Plaintiffs: Hany M. Girgis
Defendants: Lesa ChristensonAshworth Blanchet Christenson, LLP
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: Defense.
Award as to each Defendant:
Jury returned a verdict finding defendants were not negligent.
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 9 days.
- Jury Deliberation Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Jury Polls: 12-0
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Joel Selik, San Marcos.
Suzanne Mindlin, Cardiff by the Sea.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Wingert Grebing Brubaker & Juskie LLP by Ian R. Friedman and Andrew A. Servais, San Diego.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Plaintiff sued his former lawyer and the firm Ashworth Blanchet Christenson, LLP for legal malpractice relating to the negotiation of a Marital Settlement Agreement in a $30+ million divorce.
Plaintiff argued he was entitled to $2,053,000 as damages for defendant attorney’s alleged failure to negotiate a stock transfer as an equalizing payment in a divorce proceeding.
No instruction was ever given to make a stock equalizing payment. Defendants did not cause plaintiff’s harm as he could not prove any better result. Plaintiff had suffered no damages.
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: See additional notes.
- Defendant §998 Offer: See additional notes.
The 998 history:
- 4/5/18 – Plaintiff 998 Demand for $899,999.99
- 6/26/18 – Plaintiff 998 Demand for $999,999.99
- 2/20/19 – Defendants 998 Offer of $90,001
- 3/31/19 – Plaintiff 998 Demand for $649,999.99