Unemployed woman is struck by vehicle as she crosses street outside of any crosswalk.
- Case Name: Nevarez v. Davenport
- Court and Case Number: Tuolumne Superior Court / CV58377
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Wednesday, May 06, 2015
- Date Action was Filed: Tuesday, October 15, 2013
- Type of Case: Vehicles - vs. Pedestrian
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Kate Segerstrom
Plaintiffs: Deborah Nevarez, 52, not employed
Defendants: Dawn Davenport
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: $200,000
- Net Verdict or Award: $120,000
- Contributory/Comparative Negligence: 40% contributory negligence to plaintiff.
0. Medical costs paid by Medi-Cal.
- Jury Deliberation Time: 2 hours
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Carty Law Office by John P. Carty and Roland E. The', Stockton.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Mayall Hurley by Vladimir F. Kozina and Jenny Dennis, Stockton.
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Eric Runte, M.D., Sonora.
Galyn Savage, Ph.D., psychology, Sonora.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
Alan Shonkoff , Ph.D., psychology, Berkeley.
Plaintiff's Technical Expert(s):
Laurence Neuman, P.E., accident reconstruction, Loomis.
Robert B. Post, Ph.D., human factors, Granite Bay.
Defendant's Technical Expert(s):
Dean Tuft, Ph.D., engineering, Pleasant Hill.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
Plaintiff was injured on October 4, 2011 by a vehicle driven by defendant as plaintiff crossed South Stewart Street in Sonora. There was no crosswalk where plaintiff crossed.
That defendant was negligent by not looking for pedestrians and being inattentive.
That plaintiff was negligent in not looking for cars before she crossed.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Injuries including a fractured pelvis, broken arm and a concussion. The fractured pelvis prevented plaintiff from walking for months.
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $69,000
- Defendant §998 Offer: Waiver of costs.