Patient says surgeon failed to timely diagnose and repair a perforation that followed abdominal surgery.
- Case Name: Lucas v. Marcus
- Court and Case Number: Los Angeles Superior Court / BC643151
- Date of Verdict or Judgment: Wednesday, May 08, 2019
- Date Action was Filed: Thursday, December 08, 2016
- Type of Case: Medical Malpractice
- Judge or Arbitrator(s): Hon. Armen Tamzarian
Plaintiffs: Charles LucasKaren Lucas
Defendants: Daniel Marcus, M.D.
- Type of Result: Jury Verdict
- Gross Verdict or Award: Defense.
- Trial or Arbitration Time: 7 days.
- Jury Deliberation Time: 1 hour.
- Jury Polls: 10-2
Attorney for the Plaintiff:
Girardi Keese by David N. Bigelow, Kelly Winter Weil and Carlos Urzua, Los Angeles.
Attorney for the Defendant:
Carroll, Kelly, Trotter, Franzen, McBride & Peabody, by John C. Kelly and Patrick J. Goethals, Long Beach. (For Daniel Marcus, M.D.)
Plaintiff’s Medical Expert(s):
Barry N. Gardiner, M.D.
Defendant's Medical Expert(s):
David Joseph Lourié, MD, FACS, FASMBS.
Facts and Background
Facts and Background:
In September 2015, plaintiff suffered a bowel perforation following abdominal surgery.
Plaintiff alleged delay in diagnosis and repair.
Defendant timely diagnosed the injury following appropriate workup and timely repaired the bowel perforation.
Injuries and Other Damages
Physical Injuries claimed by Plaintiff:
Bowel perforation, prolonged hospitalization and subsequent surgery.
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Medical: $15,000
- Special Damages Claimed - Past Lost Earnings: $70,000
- Special Damages Claimed - Future Lost Earnings: $195,000
Demands and Offers
- Plaintiff §998 Demand: $300,000
- Plaintiff Demand during Trial: $780,000
- Defendant §998 Offer: Waiver of costs.